To Those Who Fear Him

I've been meaning to write for a long while now. I've had so many things swirling around my head. Thoughts about sharing, and confessing recent sins and how God, as always, faithfully and lovingly disciplines me and teaches me. I wanted to share with all of you how good and amazingly awesome our Father God is and how He has incredible compassion on us because He remembers that we are only dust. There are so many things that I've wanted to tell all of you. So many things in my heart; my personal desires, my struggles, the truth and power of God's presence in the midst of these things...so many things to share and seemingly so little time to do it.

Which thought was better? Which lesson have I learned that would be so encouraging to others? What should I write and when should I do it? Who am I writing to? What will they need to hear today that will impart to them much grace, to encourage them to stay the course (Ephesians 4:29)?

Only the LORD knows.

Therefore, here I am today, sharing with you what the LORD has done for me and why I praise His holy name. I want you to know why my hope and my every desire is found only in Christ Jesus alone. When all else and everyone else fails me, the Lord uses these times to remind me that HE alone is my Help and my Deliverer and He will not delay in delivering me from all my troubles (Psalm 40:16-17).

As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust.
~ Psalm 103:13-14

The key phrase here is: "to those who fear Him." And that is who I'm writing to today. Are you one of those? If so, walk with me, as I share.

There are many people all over the world who are going through difficult times, scary times; facing life and death situations and experiencing heart break after heart break - with each beat coming so close together, one can hardly catch one's breath before the next wave of trials seem to pound upon their already frail and weakened state.

Weakened physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

What is a person to do? Sometimes when we're this weak, we become afraid.

What do we fear? Do we fear rejection? Do we fear loss of favor? Do we fear we'll be forgotten? Do we fear that those God has put around us, to help and protect us - will not? Do we fear man's attempts to thwart God's ultimate plan for each of our lives? Do we fear death? Or do we fear that we must go on living; living without hope and without understanding or significant purpose?

Presently, I am weakened in every way. My body continues to fight against me. My mind seems to be fading faster than a runaway train. Emotionally, I feel that I can barely hold myself up, let alone anyone else.

We just found out that I have to go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. My first appointment is on Monday, August 10th. I have been told I will be there at least a week, and will know better after my first consultation with the team of doctors up there how long I will have to stay. I haven't wanted to go. And to make things worse, spiritually, I've been bombarded with the enemy using those closest to me, even my brothers and sisters in Christ - to hurt me. There seems to be no end to the barrage of battering.

I'm tired and I want to give up. I want to say, "Okay, you win! Everybody and everything that has been beating against me, tearing me down, fighting me with every opportunity - you win, all of you, you win. I quit, I give up! Now leave me alone...

I just want to go Home!

Sometimes all this fighting seems senseless. Why? Why should I go on and fight? What for? What's the purpose? It's too hard! And it seems to be too much trouble for something that's so unimportant and of little significance - that is, my life. I'm only one person. One very small, not so smart, not so talented, not so anything that I'm sure all my fighting makes - not so much sense, because I make, not so much of a difference.

As my flesh works with my adversary, Satan; their loud, boisterous lies are overtaken and completely demolished by the strong whisper of my Heavenly Father who says to me:

And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide Himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the Way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. Then you will defile your carved idols overlaid with silver and your gold-plated metal images. You will scatter them as unclean things. You will say to them, "Be gone!"
~ Isaiah 30:20-22

Then I remembered, who or what do I fear more than God? Absolutely no one and absolutely nothing. For the LORD who is God, alone is worthy to be feared, worthy to be praised and alone is worthy of all my love and trust; for He alone can never fail me. When I look to others to always be there for me, to protect me, to consider my best; then I have sinned by creating for myself, with my own hands, idols - idols overlaid with silver and gold-plated metal. I can't and never should expect another fallible human-being like myself to faithfully protect me and love me. No man or woman was ever made to do that. Only God Himself is faithful and can never fail. Only God alone can always protect, comfort and seek our best. That's why He alone deserves supremacy in our lives. And that's why we all should love Him with all our hearts, souls, minds and strength. Because God alone is capable of being God. I am not, and neither is anyone else in my life.

Only God alone is untainted by Satan's lies and God alone cannot and will never be used as Satan's tool to damage our lives. But we can and have been. We are all susceptible to Satan's deceptions - if we're not paying attention and staying in constant prayer (Matthew 26:41). All of us, including me, can be and have in the past allowed ourselves to be used by our enemy to hurt those we love; our family members and those in the body of Christ. Why? Because we didn't stay in prayer. Why didn't we stay in prayer? Because we sometimes become so casual with our relationship with God that we forget that He is the LORD God Almighty, He is righteous, He is just, He is the Judge and He can and will call an accounting for every careless word, and every thoughtless deed (Matthew 12:36, 2 Corinthians 5:10).

We forget that God is holy, He is righteous, therefore He must punish sin. We want God to be fluffy and ooshy and gooshy, then we call that love. But if we're honest with ourselves, we know that while it may be warmth of affection; "love" that is safe, calculating and always considers the benefit of self before acting, has not the very nature of love in it.

God is love and He suffered Himself; His One and Only Son for our sakes. There's nothing fluffy, warm, fuzzy or ooshy gooshy about that. We bring no benefit to God and we can't make Him greater than He already Is. We do however bring Him pain, grief and sorrow. We make Him angry when we rebel and disobey (Psalm 7:11) - every single day. He could and should smite all of us, but in His compassion and endless mercy, He saves us instead and calls many to be His own. And this is why we ought to always fear Him, as we should always keep in the forefront of our minds that God is a God of righteousness, holiness and pours out His wrath against all evildoing and evildoers. Then it will be easier for us to remember to run with utter gratitude, relief and eternal thanksgiving to the One who showers us with good, even when we have hurt Him so and are more deserving of His wrath rather than His mercy, compassion and love.

Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you, and therefore He exalts Himself to show mercy to you. For the LORD is a God of justice; blessed are those who wait for Him.
~ Isaiah 30:18

Most holy and gracious Father God in Heaven, I truly pray that Your name will be hallowed today - especially amongst Your children. Teach us to live such holy lives that the light of Christ within us will truly shine for all the world to see. Let us not bicker, bite and devour one another as the world does. Let us not fight for our names to be hallowed, but for Your name alone to be exalted. Please Father God, You are the God of peace; protect Your children from the enemy. Keep us from allowing one another to be used as Satan's bat in which to beat one another, especially those who are already so weak by many other trials.

O Lord God, I'm so very tired. I'm tired in every way, as You know. Give me strength to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus. And help all of us, whom You've called by Your name to be mindful of the precious Name that we bear; and that everything we say and do demonstrates the position He takes in our lives.

Help us Father, to not put one another on pedestals on which none of can stand. Remind us Lord that you alone are high and lifted up. When I put too much trust in other people, even my brothers and sisters in Christ, I am always injured - but I know that to a certain extent, I have caused some of this pain upon myself by giving another human being the place of total trust and supremacy in my life. Help us all gracious Lord to remember that You alone can and will never fail us. And teach us Father to love one another in spite of our failings, just as You have loved us perfectly in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.

8 comments